Kate is a very lucky girl indee in her exposure to different languages, especially in a country like the US where we are very mono-language focused. It’s rare for a child to grow up being able to speak another language like a native
- She grew up with Chinese-mandarin as her first language because we didn’t speak English to her until 1 1/2 years old.
- Then of course English here in the states.
- She had a French speaking babysitter ever since she was 1 1/2 years old and now attends the Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley French American school.
- She also has a Japanese speaking sitter now and she just loves Japanese songs and children video
- my parents and I speak Chinese-cantonese to her. when she is willing to listen and she understand 90% of what we say, but she is not into it.. and I’m not as consistent.
So.. here is Kate singing Coccinelle in French (original singer) while waiting for BART, the only song I ever got her to agree singing because it’s my all time favorite French children’s song