Reasons I’m disconnecting from Facebook
- I don’t visit it often anymore, maybe 2-3 times a week
- It’s hard even for a technologist like me to keep track of new privacy settings that I have to actively manage
- It’s not something I’m proud to tell my child
- I’ve been on the fence about leaving anyways
- The final straw is reading the NY Times articles about other people also leaving and reminding me to do it
- It encourages short messages much like twitter, so why not just use twitter?
- Since I do blog on WordPress, why not just blog?
Facebook made it difficult to remove myself
- First try deactivate, but it emailed me that I can reactivate anytime in the future. Which meant my info is still there
- Then I search for ‘delete Facebook’ and found a permanent delete option.
It’s been 3 months and I don’t miss you.