I write a lot of internal documentation, blogs to convey ideas for my future self as well as for engineers internally to reference.
Younger engineers often are reluctant to write anything other than code.
Here are reasons to write
- Writing something down clarifies your own understanding of the topic
- It’s one of the highest leverage of your time and work because one piece of writing can be read by hundreds of engineers who could be helped by your writing.
- Writing gives you exposure to people who might not not heard of you.
- Years from now, you can go back to the writing and refresh your ideas, or help you learn something you might have forgotten to do.
- Writing down something that only you know, helps free you from that work when/if someone is willing to take over your work.