Engineer | Mentor | Father | Son | Husband | Badminton
Deeply helping people achieve their greatest positive impact by leveraging technology – “None of us need to have the whole solution, we just have the part, together we can make it whole.
Tony Tam is a first generation Chinese American who immigrated to San Francisco at 10. He grew up in the San Francisco public school system benefited from the ESL program, graduated from Lowell High School and graduated from UC Berkeley with a BA in Computer Science.
After working as a software engineer for Silicon Graphics for 4 years, Yahoo for 16 years, he works on helping engineers be more productive and impactful at Splunk. Inc. He has mentored more than 20 engineers in his career and has found a passion outside of work to capture the stories of software engineers to help others on his website Impactful Engineer. He and his wife work and life in San Francisco, while his daughter is in Medford, MA.
Driven by “Help Make The Largest Number of People Successful“
Passionate – feeling alive, strive to keep on improving, eyes lit up, influencing others, uniqueness.
Compassionate – forgiveness, empathy, maintain a good heart, thinking of others, turning the tables, being in other people’s shoes.
Awareness – don’t accept the norm, be self critical, be aware of what others are doing, being able to be an outside of mind experience and looking objectively.
Openness – admit fault, apologize when appropriate, reveal own faults, point out things that don’t work well, open to change for the better, be aware of my own short comings.
Food value – memory, grab it, enjoy this moment, make memories, richness life, it’s for you, just for tony, enjoy food given permission, freedom.
Independence – freedom, willing to just do things for yourself, exploring.
Living without regrets – asking myself this everyday.
What He Does with His Time
- Founder of Impactful Engineer – The mission of ImpactfulEngineer.org is to empower engineers to build a lifelong and impactful career in the software industry.
- Founder of San Francisco Badminton Group – community of advanced players playing 2 times a week.
- Engineering Productivity @ Splunk – helping software engineers at Splunk be more effective and more productive
- LinkedIn Profile – @tonytamsf
- Writing – blog posts https://tonytam.org
- Adviser – The Giving Express – https://thegivingexpress.org
- Owner of I Privé restaurant in Burlingame, CA – learning to run a small business and writing about being a restaurant owner
- Amateur barista, latte art enthusiast, see my art pours
- Supports Asian American Creators on Patreon, see who he supports.
Blog Posts By Topic
Parenting | Running Every Paris Metro Stop | Working @ Yahoo for 16 years | Latte Art | Being An Engineer | Travel To Paris & Beyond | Restaurant Owner | Journey To 2,400 Push Up In 24 Hours | Getting Things Done
See the latest blog posts at https://tonytam.org
Professional Software Engineer
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonytamsf
Software engineer at Silicon Graphics from 1995 to 1999
Yahoo! from 1999 to 2016
Splunk from 2016 to present as Sr. Principal Productivity Engineer
Resume here https://tonytam.org/resume/
Inspired by Atomic Habits
- I am a badminton player – play every Mon, Wed, Sat
- I am a meditation practitioner – every day at 6:20
- I am a coffee drinker – every day at 6:30
- I am a lifelong learner – every day after meditation
- I am a reader – every day after meditation
- I am a thoughtful and engaging father – every communication with Cate
- I am a loving and supporting husband – whenever I see my wife
- I am a thoughtful son – whenever I see my parents
- I am a mentor to young software engineers – when I mentor 5 engineers at Splunk
- I am a software engineer who helps everyone in my company get work done and remove roadblocks – every day at Splunk
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent the position or opinions of Splunk Inc., or its affiliates.