What I want for Christmas from LinkedIn
- Incentivize people to actually update their profiles and update with a real resume
- Either make resume (in PDF) a first class part of your LinkedIn professional profile. (do not send an update to your network, I don’t mind my boss finds an updated resume, but I don’t want this update to be broadcasted) I know people are reluctant to put their resume on LinkedIn, but why not make it acceptable that everyone should keep an updated resume online?
- Or… if this is too radical, make ‘resume’ a first class citizen in a private part of your profile so recruiters can use that PDF to get access to an up to date resume? Right now, my guess is about 75% of people’s LinkedIn profile is not up to date and needs to be updated when people actually look for a job. (I’ll take challenge from anyone that I can randomly sample 20 profiles and 15 of them are out of date compared with their resume by at least 1 to 2 years.)
- Increase signal to noise ratio by letting me remove : ‘People in your network have new connections’, ‘See anyone you know? Connect with them’, ‘is now following:’ , ‘has a work anniversary.’, ‘has an updated profile:’
- Let me privately dislike something and personalize my feed based on what I dislike.
Thank you little elves at LinkedIn :)